Ghost Mist

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

When I'm not Around

So, when I'm not here writing, I'm usually working on Mark of a Goddess. That's what I've been doing for the last few days. Yup - working on Mark of a Goddess. Just for the sake of making me feel like I've accomplished something - I'm going to write how that's going here.

Today I released chapter seven. Ya know, usually by the time I release a chapter, I'm so freaking bored with it that I can't believe that anyone could enjoy it. But that chapter was a wrap-up chapter. It ties up a couple loose ends, so it's not exactly the sort of chapter that leaves everyone pining for more. Hopefully, it's more the kind of thing that makes the reader feel like a piece of the puzzle has slid perfectly into place, so there's one less thing to worry about. I'm trying to tie things up before I engage in the major conflict, so this is one less step that I must take. If I don't start tying things up now, then it will be rushed at the end. So, I've started to wrap up on chapter seven - sounds early, doesn't it? I disagree. Now is the perfect time.

Chapter Eight is a side quest, so it's actually proving to be the most difficult chapter in the book. It's practically a one-shot that has to fit in with the world I've already created, so I have to tread softly. I've been trying to get some creative consulting on it, but it seems Nightfaux and Kaytala have both dropped off the face of the planet, so I may not be able to update on time next week. If things keep on going the way they are now - I might not be able to update for a couple weeks ... I know - I'm so unnecessarily dramatic.

Chapters nine and ten are done to my satisfaction. They just need to be beta read now.

I've been working on chapter eleven for the past few days, and I know it's going to need an editing trip in a week or so, but it's so delicious that I practically have to count calories. I just finished it. And oh - it's great. I read a little bit of it to my . I thought that he wouldn't like it because it's so ... girl directed, but he thought it was really cute, so I'm super happy.

I also wanted to start releasing a 'best line written today' thing like jomiel and chocolatelova, but everything I write is a spoiler. I just don't do long stints of description, so there's nothing like that in my writing. Maybe that's a REALLY BAD SIGN.

6 Comments:

At 1:40 AM, Blogger jomiel said...

Hi. Sorry I haven't read ch7 yet. Work sucks. Maybe tomorrow or Friday.

Yes, I agree on the best sentence thing. Sometimes the best sentences are quite imbued emotions or would give hints, so I have to skip over those. Very sad, especially since most times the things you really feel good about are usually characterization points or a moving scene, and you can't share it ; ;

Sort of same with my blog. I try to describe progress and problems as vaguely as I can, but sometimes that defeats the original purpose.

If you're bored by the time you release a chapter, would having less buffer chapters help?

 
At 8:05 AM, Blogger Sapphirefly said...

Buffer chapters? What the heck are you talking about? I don't write buffer chapters! I write bridge chapters, but if I didn't the story would have zero flow. Chapter six was a bridge chapter, so I'm sorry about that. But I included a lot of precious information in that chapter. The other five chapters were letting out tons of valuable, pertinent information that you'll need to know for the rest of the story to be any good.

The reason I'm bored is because I've read the chapter so many times that I could practically recite it to you from memory. It wouldn't matter what the content of the chapter was - when you've gone over something as many times as I have - it's boring.

 
At 9:41 AM, Blogger jomiel said...

I meant buffer chapters as in chapters between the one you release and the one you are currently working on, since you said you usually have 3 or 4 chapters already done as buffer.

 
At 11:28 AM, Blogger Sapphirefly said...

Well, THAT makes way more sense and it makes me a complete oaf for my bad manners with my response. Sorry.arketing original fiction

Yeah, I definitely hear what you're saying (now that I know what you're talking about), but it can't be helped. I want to start releasing Ghost Mist while I'm still releasing Mark of a Goddess to see if I can transfer some of my Escaflowne fans onto my original fiction. Marketing original fiction online is almost impossible. My average of 20+ reviews per chapter is going to plummet to maybe one review per chapter if I don't try to take advantage of the fans of my Escaflowne series. I would be behaving stupidly to do it differently.

At least, that's what I think.

Plus, chapter eight isn't ready to go yet. I NEED some creative consulting, and I haven't been able to get it.

 
At 7:44 PM, Blogger jomiel said...

No, I think it's a pretty good strategy, to get some of the MoaG readers hooked on Ghost Mist. Perhaps you might want to describe more about the fic in the forums when you release, so that way more of us would be interested beyond our preference for your current stories.

 
At 9:35 AM, Blogger Sapphirefly said...

Yup - I definitely plan to do that, but I'm not ready to go yet. I really have to finish MoaG before I can seriously work on Ghost Mist. I have 24 chapters planned for MoaG and I have to finish all of them before I can work whole heartedly on Ghost Mist, so the more buffer chapters the better. I'll have more time to prepare a good chapter one for GM. Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home