Ghost Mist

Saturday, June 17, 2006

Creative Disputes

Hello. Today I thought I'd talk about the challenge I'm currently having with my book 'Mark of a Goddess'. I'm have a creative dispute with myself. Actually, I really have creative disputes with no one other than myself. I may give advice, but I don't really care what the final decision is if I'm not the one writing it. That may seem cold, but I don't really have the brain room to worry too much about other people's projects. As for receiving creative advice - it's amazing how little of it I'm actually given.

I'm probably scary ~_^!

Anyway, the next chapter of MoaG isn't ready because of one sentence. One sentence is holding me back. Two words, to be precise. Just two words are holding my leash and not letting me run and prance like a country puppy. How twisted! But, I cannot release the chapter until I figure out how I'm going to handle this problem.

First let me define how a creative dispute arises:
1. The chapter is always already written and usually it's already been beta-read.
2. An inconsistancy has come up that I didn't account for in my original storyboards.
3. If no one ever saw the story, I would never notice it, because normally it's pointed out by my beta reader, my best friend, or someone who's reviewed on fanfiction.net. It's not that they notice that there is a problem, because usually the real problem is in a chapter they haven't seen yet, but they foresee a problem that I just didn't see coming (yet another great reason to release one chapter at a time). I have definitely caught a handfull of mistakes because of one specific reader on ff.net.

In this case it was pointed out by my beta-reader and I haven't been able to think of a solution, even though I've been thinking about it steadily for over a week. Grrrr!

So, I've been trying to remember some of the ways that I've solved these sorts of problems in the past.
1. To think about it.
2. To not think about it.
3. Tell the story to myself out loud. This is a great tool. I figure out so many problems this way. Just as a side note I had no idea what I was going to write for an upcoming chapter of MoaG. I just had one line of instruction to go on, and by explaining that part of the story to myself, I was able to come up with something that really worked.
4. Focus on the deadline and write the solution 2 minutes before releasing. How does that saying go? "Desperation is the mother of invention" or something like that. I totally believe in this. So, if I don't come up with something before hand, I'll force myself to figure something out Wednesday night.

If I really do end up working it out on Wednesday evening - I'm crossing my fingers that whatever I release doesn't suck.

1 Comments:

At 3:22 PM, Blogger algelic said...

LOL you're so right! Creative disputes suck!

Did I mention I wrote MANY versions of my 4th chapter? I was never satisfyed! Sometimes I would write the entire chapter and then think it sucked and throw it out... other times I'd just write a page and then be displeased and throw it out. I'm glad with my final result... but if I hadn't published it, I would probably still be picking at it and changing stuff! LOL

And what sucks the most... is when I write like, 3 pages in a row, never stopping... and suddenly I come across a character's dialogue and just BLOCK... and it seems that all the ideas I have for his line are just horrible! LOL

I am such a picky person... Right now I haven't written the 5th chapter yet. I have everything on my mind... I think it'll be pretty cool (if I manage to write it right) and I will have a challenge of deepening my romance (underline challenge). I just can't, in good mind, spend that precious time writing fanfiction when I should be studying for my precious exams. I'm spending half an hour now in the Internet just to satisfy my addiction. LOL

I believe that we are our worst critics, Saphire, and no one can make us feel worse about our writing than ourselves. Be good! Don't be too hard on yourself! :) Lub!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home