Ghost Mist

Monday, June 12, 2006

Writing with a Partner

This blog was spurred by a comment of algelic's on jomielll's blog. I was about to make a comment on that when I realized that I have a lot to say on the subject, so I'd better write what I think over here and use my own space instead of someone else's.

I'd just like to start out by saying that I've tried to write with other people a couple times and it never works out. Don't get the wrong idea - there has never been any blood spillage or anything like that. It's just that my dedication to the story is always above and beyond my partner's, so the work isn't evenly distributed. If that doesn't bother you, then there's no reason why you shouldn't work with a partner.

Right now, I have two people I work with - my charming beta reader Kaytala (who I love to the moon) and my best friend in real life, who will shortly be introduced as Nightfaux I believe (I named her^^). Nightfaux is my creative consultant and she generally sees my chapters before Kaytala. Both of them stop me from making an ass of myself (it takes BOTH of them).

Kaytala is a gem because she knows how to beta read for me in a way that doesn't make me feel like someone is stepping on my toes. Not an easy thing. I made her take a test before I would let her beta for me because I haven't had good experiences with beta readers in the past. Mostly, they just took too long because they have lives outside my story. But there were other problems too.

The point is - if I had so many problems with a beta reader than how much trouble would I have with a partner? ... Ew!

But, I can definitely see the bonuses. For instance, I suck at writing description and romance, but I'm good at writing action and dialogue (at least that's my analysis of my strengths). So, if I found someone who wanted to write description and romance while I wrote the action and the dialogue - we'd totally have it made. However, I still get the feeling that creative conflicts would arise.

The last thing I want to say on this subject is that I think it would be possible to do a team effort if you saw your partner in person, but if it was someone you only knew online - it wouldn't work - at least not for me. Unless you don't really care how the story turns out.

3 Comments:

At 11:53 AM, Blogger algelic said...

Thank god I remebered to stop by and saw the post.

Well, what I said in jomiel's blog WAS about writing with a partner that was someone you knew personally. I imagine it would be hard to find someone that could be... in your line of thought. Yeah, the coolest would definitely be you writing (for example) the action and the other person writing the romance. Unfortunately things don't work that way.

Like, weeks ago, I asked (for the first time) tips from my friends about my story. I just wanted to give Hitomi a job, not something like working in a store, and at that moment I was burning my brain thinking about it. Did my friends help, at all? NO. They just said "I dunno" -_- I have such good friends...

And if that was to find someone to ask for a little advice, I can only imagine the long search it would be for me to find someone to write a fanfic with! LOL

In real life, I don't know creative people. I really don't. I'm surrounded by the most unimaginable people! I get bored out of my mind. That is kind of why I like to read fanfics... I can see other people's thoughts and talents and it's so cool to me that you can't even imagine. I wish my friends in real life were 10% as creative as some fanfiction writters I've seen.

LONG comment!

 
At 1:26 PM, Blogger Sapphirefly said...

You are free to write as long a comment as you wish, honey. It's cool^^

Yeah, I know what you're talking about when it comes to trying to get advice and opinions from the people around you. Personally, I've been a lot happier since I abandoned the concept. I just tell people I know that my hobby is writing online and I basically leave it at that. They're not interested and I have stopped caring what they think.

Through my travels, I've also learned something else that's wise. Don't take writing advice from people who aren't interested in writing themselves. You'll only find people who don't understand the amount of work you put into it. They'll only compare you to the professional writing that they've seen, which is no good. You can't go from one to a hundred in zero seconds. It takes work and practice and planning.

And on the bright side - your first fanfic is doing very well^_^!

 
At 3:07 PM, Blogger algelic said...

Yup. I'm very happy that I've been actually getting reviews! :) I got good feedback about the 4th chapter.

Well, when I asked them for advice, I just limited to say something like:
"Hey, I'm writing this story and I wanted to give my main character a part-time job, what do you think would be cool? Not the kind of job like in shops"

I don't go into much detail. Frankly I think they wouldn't understand or care. That's also one of the reasons why I don't even waste my time explaining to them... -_- they don't even enjoy that kind of thing

 

Post a Comment

<< Home