Ghost Mist

Friday, June 09, 2006

Side Quests

I feel like a monkey, but these past few days I have been working on my side quest chapter of 'Mark of a Goddess'. I never thought I would be writing a side quest, since generally side quests sort of unnerve me when I read for pleasure. But I've been paying close attention to the process since I've never done it before. Usually, I'm really concentrated, so this was a really new experience for me.

For one thing, I found it was a lot like writing fanfiction for your own work. I had a few characters that were old and two that were new. So, I could lean on the established characters while I concentrated my efforts on the new ones.

I wasn't writing about anything that applied to the main story line so it was also like taking a break from MoaG, which was nice, since I've been nearly tearing my skin off (I want to write Ghost Mist so much!! It BURNS! It BURNS!). It was fun to write in a voice that wasn't Hitomi's. It was a good change.

Let's see, what else did I get out of it? Oh yeah, I got to concentrate on a romance that wasn't Van and Hitomi's. That was a relief as well. It's hard to describe a good relationship when it's as old as Van and Hitomi's without talking about sex directly. I try hard, but I'm not sure how well I do. I suspect that I'm not very good at pulling the old heart strings with romantic rosebuds, which is weird because I always thought that romance was one of my strong points. Lately, I'm discovering that it's not. It's probably because I'm an analytical bag. I've probably spent too many hours listening to debates to be a smooth talker. I'm better at writing the fight scenes - at least that's what I'm getting out of my reviews. Well, some people think I do well at romance, so I shouldn't trash myself too hard. Anyway, my side quest is more heated and it's from a woman's perspective that is much older than Hitomi, so I don't mind getting a little more descriptive. We'll see how well it goes.

I enjoyed the experience. Hopefully, my readers won't be too cheesed about me taking them off the beaten trail for a minute or two.

4 Comments:

At 2:38 PM, Blogger jomiel said...

lol @ "side quest".

Find Hat of Charming, +5chr +2vit.

 
At 6:12 PM, Blogger Sapphirefly said...

You role play a lot, don't you jomiel?

 
At 12:04 PM, Blogger algelic said...

Side quests? Ghost mist? I'm confused...

I think you do write good romance. Yes, it is HARD! *cries* I thought that with my imagination I could write some cool romance. Yeah... right... It seemed that everything I wrote was too lame! Damn it! I'm sooooo crushed! -_-

In DM and MW you had some really good romance. Like, the way you made Hitomi and Van meet and get to know each other... wow I'm jealous!

Now that I have (finally) posted the 4th chapter, I'm feeling SO happy that I didn't settle for my earliest versions of it. Really, in my first chapters I didn't describe Van at all as I wanted! I got so angry with myself! -_-
So this chapter made me very happy for lots of reasons: being the biggest one yet, giving Van a more serious perspective, making Hitomi more realistic, ... at least in my opinion. It is as I said before, I think I'll progress with each chapter.

 
At 1:52 PM, Blogger Sapphirefly said...

Ghost Mist is the name of the book I get to write after I'm done with Mark of a Goddess - although I'm being a little bad and working on it a little bit. But my main attention is still on Mark of a Goddess. I can't suck now.

And yeah - I thought the fourth chapter was better. Good luck!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home