Ghost Mist

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Writing Advice

I have tried to write several posts about my receiving advice on my writing and my giving others advice on their writing.

I have to admit that I am mean when I analyze someone's writing, which is why I should never be asked to do it unless they are ready for the onslaught of fear and death that I'd drop on them. Someone has to be ready for that kind of action and be completely prepared to deal with the consequences. But most of the time, I would rather not do it. I don't really like hurting people's feelings, because nine times out of ten - I don't think they're ready. I've only ever read one person's work where I was supposed to give an opinion and I didn't think they needed much extra work done on their project. I don't think experienced writers go around asking for opinions.

Anyway, the following is a list of items that I would insist upon in order to be prepared to give an opinion on a piece of writing.
  1. The writing must be current. I don't like it when someone asks me to look at something that they last looked at a couple of years ago. That has happened to me a couple of times and I find it most unpleasant because I go through it and give them my suggestions and they scream at the top of their lungs that they can do better, but that the piece was written two years ago. Why did they give it to me in the first place then if it wasn't an accurate display of what they can do?
  2. Don't ask me to beta read. I would do this for someone if I was doing it on a betareading exchange, but other than that 'no'. There are a couple of reasons why I wouldn't want to do betareading. The biggest reason is that I don't believe that a betareader should have a whole lot of creative control. If they're beta reading, they should just be looking for errors, and making sure that everything makes sense. The reason for this is that a beta reader can easily step beyond their role and try to start writing the story themselves. This is not good - whether I'm doing it, or whether it's being done to something I'm writing. If someone wants my creative advice (in my opinion, it's the more precious of the two skills), then that's one thing - and I'm more comfortable giving general creative advice rather than picking over every sentence with a fine toothed comb. Because once I start picking - I'm afraid of going overboard.
  3. Lastly, I have had this happen a couple of times, but it's when someone asks me to take a look at something I'm uncomfortable with reading - like smut or slash. I never read anything with graphic nudity in it and I don't like vicious needless violence.
Okay, so now I'm going to write about when the tables have turned and I'm on the receiving end of the 'advice'. I get quite a bit of writing advice since I write on several different archives. I'd say that it doesn't take much to separate the men from the boys when it comes to good advice, but it's not that simple. I've had a couple of regular reviewers on ff.net who really know their stuff, but it's more like she or he drops a line asking one specific question and then takes off before I get the chance to answer.

For me I have a hard time taking writing advice under the following situations:
  1. The person knows me personally. I stopped asking people I know to read my writing a long time ago, and I'm not about to start that practice up again any time soon. Because they know me - nearly everything that comes out of their mouth has to be discounted - even praise. Don't get me wrong though - I'll let people who know me read my work, but most of the time people who say they'll take a look at my writing won't, so there's no point.
  2. They don't write themselves. I know quite a few people who writing - both online and off. Some of them I'll listen to and some of them have such different styles than me that I literally gag when I read their work. So, a simple perspective from someone who writes isn't enough - I have to respect them as a writer.
  3. Lastly, maybe they don't have to be a writer and maybe it's okay if they know me, but they have to love me so much that they don't mind giving me bad news and they don't mind pushing me to be better, because they want me to write the BEST THING. So, for those few people - they can say what they want - I know they want to help make me the best author! I'm their star, so it's okay if they shoot arrows at me. I guess my point with this last point is that I can't take advice from people who want to drag me down.

5 Comments:

At 3:20 PM, Blogger Sapphirefly said...

Wow! Welcome! I'm surprised and delighted to see you. Welcome.

I can see how you could work with two beta readers if you knew one of them personally - that changes a lot. Your sister is probably a really good person to bounce things off of. It's good that she helps you.

I sent one of my stories to four different beta readers once. I worked really hard on that one story, and it was very good but it couldn't seem to catch an audience no matter how hard I worked on it. These days, I'd rather not overthink things, so most of my story Dragon's Moon was released without it even having been beta read by anyone. I got to chapter 20 before Kaytala came and helped me. Her help made the story a lot more polished, so beta readers are great when you find someone you work well with.

Thanks for stopping by.^^

 
At 3:29 PM, Blogger algelic said...

I don't have a betareader... I even asked for volunteers when I posted one of my chapters... and the answer I got was: "You don't need one". Bah!

I like when people give me advice and critisize my writing. My reaction is always this: first I feel hurt and think "There's something wrong with it?" and then I put my mind into correcting what I did wrong.

I don't really like to critisize people's writing... unless it's really REALLY bad. Well, if it's really bad I usually don't say anything unless they ask me to. I know that writing is difficult and takes a lot of effort, and usually I know that I can't do better.

Aside from writing, I'm confortable in critisizing anything else. LOL well... except clothes. I don't really pay too much attention to that. Unless it's really horrible clothes (I'm remembering Bjork's swan dress).

Again I say: I'm my worst critic. I think that should go for everyone.

 
At 8:24 PM, Blogger Sapphirefly said...

Ah the romance aspect ... ah. My romance hardly rakes in an audience - it's my action. Which confuses me since yeah - I always thought that my romance was the best part of my writing. NOPE. It's not.

10-14 year olds? krazydoc, is that how old you figured out your readership is? I went through my favourites list once and found out how old as many of them were as I could in order to gage the age of my readership. They were aged 15 to in their 40's. No one younger than 15.

algelic - you have a sweet heart. That's why you're not mean to people when you read their work. That's why you're my little sis.^^

 
At 12:40 PM, Blogger Sapphirefly said...

Hmm. Yeah, when I went through my favourites - most of them didn't have info, but a lot of them did.

I don't have my age printed, but that's probably because I'm too lazy to update the information every year - that gets boring. I also think that a lot of the ages on profile pages are wrong, because people are lazy.

Ya know - looking at your avatar makes me want to get something to eat. Like a truffle or something. I wonder why that is.

 
At 11:54 PM, Blogger jomiel said...

Because truffles are tasty and so tempting.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home