Ghost Mist

Saturday, July 08, 2006

The Process

Okay, so I got a request for general writing advice, and it sort of sparked my imagination and made me want to talk about the process that my writing goes through before I release it. These are all brief descriptions, so if anyone wants to hear more on a specific subject - please request it.

Inspiration

I was going to write a whole post on this awhile back, but then I got jaded and couldn't remember what inspired me. I usually get inspired by one of the following things:
  • A really good song.
  • A really attractive man.
  • A really good story.
The last one probably doesn't do a whole to express my feelings on this subject, but when I get a good idea for a story - the story itself will spur me on to write more, because I just know that it's a story that has to be told.

Story Boards

I'm certain that everyone has heard me toot my 'write a story board' horn, and if you haven't heard it - hear it now. Unless you have EXTREMELY established characters than it's ridiculous to work without a net. This will improve your writing on so many different levels it will boggle your mind. So, if you don't do it - start TODAY.

Do things Out Loud

I've talked about this part of my process recently, so I'm only briefly going to touch on this subject. Tell yourself your story out loud. This will help you work out holes that you didn't account for in your story board. It will force you to make things more detailed and encourage you to accentuate the good parts. It will also help you make things more believable, so the audience will be more drawn into your tale. I also encourage people to read their writing out loud to themselves several times before posting.

Stew

This is a great writing tool. This is when you slam your book shut and you walk away from the project. Come back when you're fresher and when you've had time to think away from the project. You'll naturally come back way more charged. I find that when I write a chapter, I have to take a break of about four days inbetween. But I think about my story ALL the time when I'm writing it, so I come up with ideas on how to brooch topics while I'm stewing.

Hacking Through the Bush

This is no fun whatsoever, but sometimes it's necessary. This is when you have a chapter in your storyboard that you don't want to write, but you can't get on with the good parts in the story if you don't write it. I sit down and I write it anyway. I write as much as I can stand. I type and type until the chapter is done, and all the important points in my storyboard have been hit. Then I go away. Normally when I do this, I have to edit the chapter myself at least five times before I have found a way to make the chapter likable. This is like hauling up a hill so you can see the view - it's worth it. A good example of this in my own writing is the chapter called 'Chain Reactions' in Mystic Wings. Holy crap! I wasn't happy until I got the idea to break it up into headings and then it was better. WAY BETTER! But I still put more work into that chapter than any other chapter in the book.

Creative Consultation

This is sometimes necessary for even the most experienced writers. I go to my good pal Nightfaux for her input. The only thing I can really say about this is - don't let yourself get run over by anyone. It's still your story, so you do what you want to with it. However, it's obviously necessary to sometimes get an outside opinion.

Beta Reading

Someone to catch your errors. I'd encourage everyone to get one, but if you can't for some reason, or if you don't want to - the next best thing is to read your story out loud to yourself. You'll catch a lot of mistakes yourself.

There's a quick overview for you.

3 Comments:

At 11:30 AM, Blogger algelic said...

I agree with you 100%!

Reading the story out loud to myself is really how I catch most of my mistakes. Sometimes I write a phrase that sounds really weird... and when I read it out loud I go nuts "WHAT?! I wrote this?!". LOL

 
At 1:59 PM, Blogger Sapphirefly said...

You guy's comments made me really happy. Thanks!

 
At 12:36 AM, Blogger jomiel said...

I'll chime in on the storyboard too ^^; I had an outline in the beginning (the story is wayyyy too long for me to attempt writing without one), but Sapphirefly prompted me to make it more detailed. It was hard work, especially because a lot of simple ideas turned out to be vague and needed further breakdown, but it revealed a lot weak points that I could then turn into fantastic characterization moments.

My outline is now a monster. And as I work on each chapter, it gets longer and longer...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home