Ghost Mist

Friday, September 22, 2006

Beta Reading Jungle

I'm not a very good beta reader. Anyone who has had me beta read for them knows that I am seriously lacking. My problem is that I usually don't buy different aspects of their story and I can't keep my friggin' mouth shut. I've become much better at this recently. I'm probably a weirdo, but I think my creative consulting has become more valuable lately, and I am the type who remembers to compliment when I see something good. So, I'm not all bad, but I'm definitely a grouch.

As for a beta reader for myself, I've had lots. Here they are:

Beta Reader No. 1

Kalis Deleira - This girl wasn't bad. I did a Slayers beta exchange with her a couple years ago. I like to update once a week and as I recall, she couldn't keep up with me. But a majorly nice kid. I think she posted my Shadow Magic: Zelgadis and Lina on her webpage. Darling!

Zue - This girl was a writer I admired. She wrote a Slayers fanfic called Hit the Ground Running, which was very enjoyable to read. But I think I wrote too fast for her too, but to be honest - my work didn't interest her so eventually our relationship just trailed off and ended, but that's okay. She's still a good writer, except that she hasn't been on ff.net in ages.

Shavaineth - I argued with this woman so much. I wasn't a huge fan of her writing and she didn't write very much so it was hard to admire her and the work she did on my writing was always too detailed. She would rewrite entire paragraphs until she was satisfied with them and when I asked her her opinion on stuff she would usually raise the skank to a level I was uncomfortable with. So I always felt that she overdid it until it wasn't my work anymore. She was a good friend to me in a lot of other ways though. We just couldn't get along regarding writing.

Kaeru Shisho - This one is part of a writing team that writes on ff.net. The frog portion I believe (frog and rat). She (I think) writes good stuff and doesn't stop writing. She gets really good acclaim for what she writes too. Another person from when I used to write Slayers stuff. I learned more from frog's comments than anyone else's ... ever. Occasionally, I write her little love notes to say how much her comments helped me. I never would have been able to get my Escaflowne stuff to be as good as it is without her telling me exactly what readers want and teaching me how to deliver. I would still be going to her if I was still writing Slayers stuff. She was awesome!

Kaytala - By the time this girl found me I was pretty jaded towards beta readers. She wrote me on ff.net about DM and told me that I made lots of mistakes and I grouchily asked her if she wouldn't mind sending me a list, which she did. So, I gave her a quiz on how to be a good beta reader, because I was sick of working with people who were more of a liability than an asset. People took too long to get the work out, and I still wanted to update once a week. She answered my questions well and then she became my beta reader and she was the best one I've ever had for just doing the work and not hounding me about my lack of description (not my strong suit and I get tired of hearing it. I know my writing is pretty bare. I've gotten a bit better, but I KNOW - I UNDERSTAND - LEAVE ME ALONE). She also got it done quickly and gave me her thoughts on the chapters. She was wonderful, but she's gotten really busy and so she's gone away. I'll gonna be bummed for awhile about her departure.

Sharlee - Yup. We've been working together for two days since I've been trying to fill the void Kaytala left. I went and asked her if she wouldn't mind doing it and I'm still shocked she agreed. I'm such a crank.

Anyway, that's my story about the beta readers in my life. I get dumped all the time. I must be hard to work for. Thibbit!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home