Ghost Mist

Saturday, August 19, 2006

Action Romance

Okay, so today I thought I'd talk about the weirdest realization about my writing. I have this problem when I write. I write crappy romance and good action. Why is this? I don't even like action as a genre when I read. I have only read a couple books in my whole life that could be classified as 'action'. The genre bores me to death, so why am I so good at writing it when I don't enjoy reading it? Then there's the problem with romance. I love romance. That's usually my favourite part of anything, so why do I suck so much at writing it. I have thought about this long and hard and I think I've finally figured out why this is.

When I write a romance scene I cannot write one of the following situations:
  1. Something I have experienced myself.
  2. Something I have read.
  3. Something that I think of as corny. It's okay to be a little corny, but I think it's a fine line and I'd rather not read something I wrote that makes me want to gag.
  4. Something skanky. This is so bleeding hard, it's ridiculous. No - seriously. Since I like to write things that are a closer reflection of true human nature - this is near impossible. People do stuff ... but I don't like to describe it. This is a trap that I have to work so hard to avoid.
But when it comes to action - I am so inexperienced that I describe everything - which makes it better than the romance I write. I leave out the sensual (anytime any author uses this word in anything they write - I seriously laugh out loud. I cannot take this word seriously - it makes me laugh at the poor loser who wrote it and deminishes my opinion of anyone who uses this word. It just strikes me as too ridiculous), exotic details because I think everyone is well acquainted with what it's like to have some guy ... something or other.

When I write action, I just write what I imagine it would be like and I get far more into it. Which is the whole reason I write action better.

So, I think I'd probably write better romance if I hadn't drowned myself in romance novels/movies/poetry.

How weird is that? My inexperience is actually an aid.

3 Comments:

At 8:50 PM, Blogger Sasha said...

ha, I totally agree with you about the "skanky" writing. I cannot take it seriously (especially in fan fiction). I once went through a stage where I liked to read it *shame* (though it still kind of creeped me out when it was fanfiction and not original fiction). I'm sorry, but reading about "romantic" scenes between two anime characters makes me squeal "eww!" nowadays.

I think it's my getting older, and realizing how far off these stories are from actual romance.

 
At 9:53 PM, Blogger Sapphirefly said...

I hate to say this, but what makes it about ten thousand times worse is when the authors have poor spelling and grammar. That is so sad!

 
At 7:16 AM, Blogger algelic said...

I wish I could write romance. *sniff* I don't like action much... but romance... Oh why can't I write it?! -_-

"Something I have experienced myself. Something I have read. Something that I think of as corny. It's okay to be a little corny, but I think it's a fine line and I'd rather not read something I wrote that makes me want to gag. Something skanky." - I totaly agree with you.

Maybe I'm just very hard to please... but sometimes I can't find any type of romance that suits me. Even the animes I liked had something about the romance that I didn't like... mostly because sometimes they were too corny. LOL

 

Post a Comment

<< Home