Ghost Mist

Sunday, August 06, 2006

Like a Ghost

So, I said the other day that I was eaten alive on fanstory. Yeah - that's what happened. So, this is my post about the after affects of having my head chewed off.

I still feel like crap.

This time it feels like the wound goes so deep that it doesn't seem like it'll mend very easily. It's not just that, but it's other things too. In the end it amounts to one thing - I'm discouraged.

I've had some really good encouragement on my stories, but when I get chewed into, no one ever comes to my defence. I always have to fight for myself ... and that really hurts me. It's like, where are all those people who thought my story was great? They're no where to be seen.

Lately, I have been thinking about Tolkien a good deal. Maybe because I was power-watching Lord of the Rings or maybe because his name just keeps coming up. For me, he's an important person, because I have no intention of reading his books because I don't admire his writing style, and yet I still admire his imagination and elements of his ideal. He did not get Lord of the Rings published until he was 62 and even then he had serious doubts about whether or not it would be successful. Let me explain my idea about him more thoroughly.

You see, I had the super extended version of The Two Towers and so I was watching the segment about how the screenplay was pulled from the books. In the commentary, one of the writers who worked on it was explaining why they did something different with the character of Faramier (please forgive me if the spelling is wrong - I'm too lazy to look it up). She said that in the book, Faramier didn't want the ring and was an all round decent chap who offered Frodo and Sam tea, and how devestating to the plot that was. She said that Tolkien had spent all this time working to convince everyone that the ring was a dangerous item that could corrupt anyone and because Faramier did not want it than that essentially stripped the ring of all power. So, I was sitting there thinking about this. Tolkien is really legendary, and yet there are people who still rip him up. And you know what - that author was completely right about the change in Faramier's character. The thing is ... Tolkien wrote the way he wanted to.

Tolkien's way of story telling isn't exactly conventional - something like what he wrote would probably get eaten alive by a publishing company now. Each book would probably been trimmed by a hundred pages or more - each.

On the other hand, he has been able to inspire generations and spark the imagination of millions - telling the story exactly the way he wanted to. Is that not writing at it's best?

In my opinion - this is the drawback when there is only one person working on a story - it's going to be imperfect (like Faramier). There's only one perspective (the lonely author's), so it's not going to be perfect. One perspective alone is NOT PERFECT. Thus to attain perfection (not just from a literary standpoint, but also from a marketing standpoint), there needs to be several people working on it. This has been a bridge I have had to cross on more than one occasion - especially about creative consulting. It has come to my attention that I wouldn't work well with a partner. Either I would be a burden around their neck or they would be a burden around mine. There would be no happy ending and the entire creative process would turn into hell for me and them. I work best alone, and it's taken me a long time to learn this.

So, I am still completely deflated. I'm begining to understand that I am two things as an author.
Number One - I'm lazy.
Number Two - I don't care.
I just want to have fun telling my stories. I get better as I go as I make more and more people happy with my work, and if I don't get any better, I at least want to have a good time. But even though I've come to this grand conclusion - I still feel discouraged.

6 Comments:

At 8:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, no, no! You don't deserve to be discouraged like this. Your stories ARE awesome, and I'm sure that if you posted in your MoaG/Mystic Wings forum about the criticism you received about Dragon's Moon at fanstory, you could rally an ARMY of people that would have things to say to the contrary!!

I get that everybody gets discouraged about things, especially when someone's brutally criticized something that's a result of one of the most important passions in your life.

Come on! That guy is an idiot, and I can frankly say that he has no clue what he's talking about.

First of all, you definitely were appealing to your reading demographic (as you said) when deciding on how to introduce/develop the characters.

Secondly, there's more to being a good critic than finding as many mistakes as you can, and people who do that are just snobbish readers. You have to take into consideration the fact that writers are PEOPLE that need CONSTRUCTIVE criticism, not borderline insults coming from a power trip from being in the position of a critic. What good does it do anyone to insult something enough to make the writer think that it's beyond repair? Especially when the story in question, however long ago it was written and however less you were experienced in writing than you are now, is VERY much beyond the average piece of writing in a competitive place like fanfiction.net!

Man, this makes me mad. I don't blame you for feeling lousy, because I am extremely sensitive about criticism myself. He must have been pretty harsh if he could discourage an amazing writer like you. Clearly this guy has no perspective and doesn't understand how hard it is to write your own story, unless he's actually a kind of writing prodigy...in that case, he's just a condescending prick.

(And clearly he's just jealous because he's not as pretty as Van! :p)

 
At 8:54 PM, Blogger Sapphirefly said...

This was really touching for me - to the point of tears. I've been so frustrated and you're so nice!!

Yeah, I take criticism really badly. I know that that's not the way the mature author is supposed to be, but I can't help being hurt about stuff. I've been releasing a chapter a week for almost a year now and I'm starting to feel the weight of my feet. Thanks so much for coming and offering your words of encouragement - so many words too!

Thanks!

 
At 12:59 AM, Blogger jomiel said...

This post made me think a lot, because I love Tolkien's books and I still feel guilty that we haven't worked out our disagreement.

First off-- Don't be discouraged. I know you love writing, and writing is a way of life for you. You should continue doing what you love. And write what you want. Who cares about anyone else?

Second, publishers and editors are bogus. I get angry when people take published books as truth (oh, the things people claim to me as evidence when there's absolutely no scientific research), because equal amounts of good and crap gets published every year, and bestsellers typical of American appetites are often the worst books ever. You shouldn't change your writing to fit the mold, definately.

But, that's not to say that we should choose to cut certain standards completely. I think this is where our arguments clash together--how much devotion should go into the different aspects of work? You choose to take the path of "keep writing" and I choose "keep revising", and ultimately, I think, we're both right, but if we focus too much on our own sights, eventually they will take us wrong. Each thing has its own season. And perhaps at this point of our writing lives, we're both right to focus on our partifular aims, and need to learn from each other.

Can we at least agree on that?

As for our support from criticism-- You're right about the guy not understanding fanfiction very well, so I think you should take his comments in stride. If it is automatically answered under fanfiction and the genre's intended audience, just brush it off. For other things, you most likely have explanations for those. But do you see why he might have raised those questions or objections? Is it because he didn't read close enough, or he doesn't understand youth culture, or is he really perplexed at a valid point? I think as you start to analyze each point by itself, standing in his eyes, you will feel better about his comments and about your abilities.

And as for encouragement and friendship-- You shouldn't feel like you have to fight for your own feelings of what's right to write. Writing needs no justification for itself. Art just is. Real gems will shine by itself. And although everyone may not approve, it doesn't matter. If you think well of it, someone will, too.

Take pride in what you've accomplished, and look forward to new progress.

 
At 1:04 AM, Blogger jomiel said...

To respond to your comment--

No one can help feelings; they come of their own accord. No one needs to justify happiness or sadness. You are entitled to feeling bad when you receive these horrible comments!

But thoughts and actions that come after feelings are what really counts, because they come from decisions.

 
At 3:51 AM, Blogger algelic said...

I think you should continue writing no matter what. There is NOTHING in this world that EVERYBODY likes. There will always be people who like it and people who hate it. And for the people who DO like your stories, keep writing them.

You like to write. You like the warm feeling you get when someone tells you that they liked your story. That's what's important. Keep that feeling in mind when you write. Try to ignore criticism and keep doing what you love.

In my opinion, you're a great writter with an amazing imagination. Anyone can see how you put your heart into your writing. It's awesome. I love it and I love you for it. ^^

I don't read a book only if the author is well-known. Actually, I loved a lot of books whose authors were relatively unknown. In my country there's even a writer who, at about 60 years old, wrote a triology about a teenage arabian princess. That was 2 years ago, and that author is still REALLY unknown. And do you think she stopped writing just because she didn't get much recognition? No. She released another 2 trilogies of the same story. (LOL I should mention that it's a SERIOUS story, with a LOT of political issues, set in the modern times). I had the pleasure of meeting her... and she's an amazing person. You can tell that she writes with her heart and for the pleasure of her fans, not for the recognition.

Ok... this was a loooong comment. I just want you to know that I'm cheering for you. Don't be sad! There are a lot of people who love your writing. ^^

 
At 8:43 AM, Blogger Sapphirefly said...

Thanks algelic for your praise. I appreciate it. A LOT! I may be feeling a little on the upswing since yesterday, but today I get to go to a cultural festival today -- it's my favourite event of the year.

Jomiel,

Yes - we are disagreeing. And guess what? I'm really not going to argue with you here.

Now ignoring all that - I'm going to go write a Ghost Mist blog about the five different levels of errors a writer can make and the ease of their correction.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home