Ghost Mist

Saturday, July 22, 2006

Fanstory.com

Okay, because I'm looking for new and glorious ways to promote my new book 'Ghost Mist', I joined a couple new writers' archives lately. The one I would like to talk about today is called fanstory.com. When I got there and really started learning what was available - I was totally floored. Normally I wouldn't complain, because free anything is just that - FREE. But to be able to post writing on this site, a membership is required and in order to obtain this membership - you must PAY. So, when I got all hooked up, I was so surprised and horrified at the lack of competetive features that this site has to offer that I wrote them a letter outlining what I felt were the five hugest flaws. For your interest - here is the exact letter I sent them. If you read over the points - users of fanfiction.net will be shocked.

Hello,

I joined upgraded my membership here on fanstory yesterday and since joining, I have to ask some questions regarding this website. They are not included in the FAQ.

Before I start, I would like to say that I appreciate the goal of this website, and that I ask these questions in the spirit of actually hearing the answer why these things are the way they are. My goal is not to drive anyone crazy, but I earnestly would like to hear the actual answer to these questions.

1. Why can't you upload a WORD or a plain text document when adding new items rather than having to cut and paste?

2. Why is there so little room for a synopsis? I find this the hugest flaw of the site, because not only can I not use the power of my words to invite those that would have a special interest in my story to read it, but I also have trouble finding things to read that interest me. From the space provided there is so little room for description that I have no idea what a story is until I open it. I have only been hanging out here for one day, but already I have heard complaints that reviews and views do not align - could this possibly be because someone has no idea what they're actually reading until after they've had a look at the story itself? Clearly, the proportion of reviews vs. views is a problem anywhere and I see that this site STRONGLY encourages reviews - which is why I'm confused at the layout.

3. Why can you only select one genre to list a story under?

4. Why are there only five topic threads in the forum sections? Because there are no sub-sections and also no search engine, I find it confusing how anyone could find something useful. The only way to find input on what you're looking for would be to start a new thread, when there are probably 200 other threads that could easily have answered a person's question.

5. This is more picky - but why are the icons all so large and frankly - weird? The space used to advertise one story makes no sense to me. Why is so much space wasted for an icon that could be a quarter the size and remain just as meaningful? Not even emoticons have to be big in order to portray a smiley-face.

I am totally floored at the odd way this site is organized - so confused. I'm sure you have goals as the moderator/webmaster/webmistress/administration/person-in-charge in order for this to be profitable for you, and I understand all that. I still can't help but think that this place could be a thousand times better - both for you and for every single user. It could be more beautiful, more efficient, more effective, and a shear pleasure to surf.

Please don't take my criticism as mean-spirited, but please take it to make this site the very best writer's archive online.

PLEASE! I already paid for two years! Or at least tell me that this place is under construction.

With Love (real love),

Sapphirefly


This is the response I received.

Hi,

First, thank you for your feedback. I'm guessing that you are in the computer field (a developer or QA tester) because you did a wonderful job of pointing out areas that can be improved. The site has been under construction for six years. The site is constantly being worked on to address concerns.

Let me address each of your points.

  1. That has never been brought up before. I don't know that there would be a big benefit of uploading from Word or a plain text document versus pasting. But an interesting idea.
  2. I'm not sure if you are referring to the "What has happened so far" synopsis or the description of the book. But for the "What has happened so far" summary we want to get the reader into reading the actual chapter rather then spending a great deal of time reading a synopsis. So the site forces the author to use as few words as possible.
  3. That has also never been brought up before. I'm not clear on why you would want to select a second genre.
  4. This is a good point. The forums are very active and could use an upgrade. They are custom designed for the site so a future upgrade could very well be directed at them. 99% of the development effort goes towards the writing portion of the site. But I do agree that an uprade of the forums would be well received.
  5. Another good point. I have updated the wish list.

Regarding your last note. I think you have more to say. Please don't hesitate to say it. Most changes are a result of user feedback. It's greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Tom

I thought his response was extremely polite. Don't ya think? I was quite pleased with it. However, I still think the site is hugely lacking. HUGELY.

You have to cut and paste a plain text document into a window in order to upload - this seems really old fashioned to me. You are also allowed more characters in the title of your story than the synopsis - I can never find anything I want to read. The genre's seem so rigid. Dragon's Moon is at least four genre's and the only genre I'm allowed to select is Fanfiction. It's never going to do well (but I should be more optimistic since I haven't tried yet). I also didn't tell him that I have a five topic forum with unlimited threads available to me ALONE on fanfiction.net - for free. Or that the icons look like free ones you get off a clip art webpage - really really unappealing.

So, I wrote him back and told him that I would help him make his webpage good for fresher writers who like userfriendly sites. Pretty brave, eh? He turned me down - FLAT. But my spirit isn't crushed. Oh no - the scientist in me is taking over and taking an interest.

I'm going to try an experiment. When 'Ghost Mist' is ready, it will be released on fanstory (since I already bought the membership and don't feel like chickening out) as well as fictionpress.com. For myself though, I'm only going to promote the story on fictionpress. I want to see if my work promoting my story online is tougher than their site - since they're working so hard to get promising talent recognized. I don't mean that sarcastically - I mean it sincerely. People are supposed to get good enough for publication there, so let's see who manages to wrangle up more readers - me or them? Honestly, it won't be much of an experiment since I'll be the winner either way - unless my story sucks - in which case ... yeah. But my story isn't going to suck. It's going to rock!

Oh well, we'll see how it goes.

1 Comments:

At 1:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, you go girl! I'm impressed that he thinks you're a developer, but then we know how competent you are, so that's not really much of a surprise, I guess. ;)

I thought it was brave and ballsy of you to tell him you would "help" him with his site. lol It needs a practical woman's touch! Too bad he doesn't like women telling him what to do, I'm sure any improvements you'd make would be a hellva lot better than what he's got going on now!! Damn the man! LOL

I'm interested to see jow your experiment goes. Keep us posted.

Fourlittlepeas

 

Post a Comment

<< Home