Ghost Mist

Friday, July 21, 2006

After my Pity Party

Okay, so after I finished having my 'once a month' pity party - I got up and I got to work.

So, this time when I got to work, I went and worked steadfastly on the character sketches for 'Ghost Mist'. I wrote 22 character sketches, and whoa - that's a lot. I'm beat, but I'm feeling a lot better. I didn't do character sketches for DM, MW, or MoaG, because in my opinion character sketches are for quick reference when I can't remember what a minor character looks like. Sad eh? If it wasn't for that then I probably wouldn't write them. Just for your interest and edification - these are the critera on one of my character sketches:
  • Name
  • Age
  • Hair Colour
  • Eye Colour
  • Height/Build
  • OCA (other comments on appearance)
  • Weapon
  • Personality
  • Other
I also hurried up and got busy making a map for the world 'Ghost Mist' is going to take place in. I know that this is a pretty ugly map and it'll probably go under the knife before I actually get to the serious writing stage, but I thought I'd share what I was able to come up with so far. Yep - there's already been another town added on my rough draft that didn't quite make it here.

There are three more reference documents I have to make before I can even start writing with a clean conscience. I need to write:
  • The side quest with the second main character has not been going well. Without that side plot, I am no where near having a complete storyboard ... blah ... where should the story go from there? I know the end, but this one plotline has a lot of potential and yet I'm finding myself stumped. Blah...
  • I'm also experimenting by making the clothes for this all impressive fantasy story totally different from the old boys from LOTR. I had never given serious thought to costume design before, but this time - I really need it. I've been reading about fashion in order to come up with a style I like for both the women and the men. Hey, you guys know what a bum ring is? ... exactly what it sounds like. U-huh. And I've learned stuff about posture and fashion as well. Know why women have had such great posture in the past? It's because their dress had a steel frame. I'd have awesome posture too.
  • And lastly, I really want to create a world that I'll enjoy describing, since I am so weak at description. So, in order to help myself improve, I'm going to write poems, or short paragraphs of description as a little tour booklet for each place on the map. Hopefully, the landscapes will be as enthralling as my dialogue ... uh ... yeah - not bloody likely, but we can pretend.
So, when I started writing this blog, I was sorta hoping that 22 character sketches would be enough, but as I've sat here thinking - I'm positive that I need another three. Sick, isn't it? This book of mine is going to turn out to be as long as MoaG and MW put TOGETHER.

Blah...

You know what else? I need to lighten up. It's like a morgue over here. If I don't start being more fun, I'm going to end up eating my weight in chocolate.

2 Comments:

At 11:44 AM, Blogger jomiel said...

Chocolate is always good!

The stuff you're doing sounds really awesome. I'll have to do a map soon, too, for battlegrounds. The hard thing is to find actual experience descriptions ; ; I want to know how someone would go about teachin archery, but I haven't really been able to find that...

But, 23 character sketches?! Geez, lol. I'm so excited about this new story!

 
At 8:17 PM, Blogger Sapphirefly said...

Thanks jomiel,

Yep, I've got enough character sketches to kill a camel with. LOL. I'm glad you're excited. I'm working hard, so I hope it will be successful.

Cheers!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home