Ghost Mist

Friday, January 11, 2008

Another Reason to Hate Fanstory.com

Okay, so lately, I have been posting a story on fanstory. Not to worry - it's not a story my faithful readers haven't seen before.

Anyway, I got a review stating that my writing was more 'telling' than 'showing' and most of my dialogue was exposition. At first, I wasn't sure what the heck the reviewer was talking about, because I always understood that 'telling' instead of 'showing' was when an author summarizes events or conversations instead of explaining the exact circumstances by letting the characters act it out. This is something I used to be extremely guilty of, but I've worked hard and it's rare that someone can point that finger at me now without having their opinion dismissed (I think it's lame to write a play-by-play when boring stuff is going on). In this particular chapter, it was completely inapplicable. Most of the chapter was conversation, so I started thinking about what this guy said and maybe he thought that I had a higher ratio of conversation versus narrative.

Now I'm going to talk about the 'exposition' part of his comment. Without plot exposition ... there is no plot. There is no story. Personally, I always thought that putting the plot exposition in conversation was a way to get the reader to enjoy the exposition (explanation) because when two or more people talk about what's happening - they can flirt, make jokes, and build relationships. So, when we put plot exposition in a conversation we're killing multiple birds with one stone. I can't believe anybody would complain about this ...

Which leads me right into yet another reason why I hate fanstory. They advertise that you will get actual advice about your writing from the readers. I think this guy just spouted off that gibberish so that he would get the member dollars. He probably didn't even read my story. Wanna know why I think that? I wrote the guy back - very diplomatically - and asked him to clarify his comment so I could understand better, explaining why I thought his comment didn't make sense and that MONKEY did not write me back.

Sheesh ... I hate fanstory so much!

4 Comments:

At 11:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those websites suck. =\
Maybe the best thing to do would be finding authors and ask them to read your work and give you advice.

Though I'm always reluctant to show my things to people. So I'm not practising what I preach. lol

 
At 1:10 PM, Blogger Stephanie Van Orman said...

I only know one writer and if I send something to her - she will eat my story alive. The slaughter will boarder on cartoon violence.

The truth is, I don't know anyone in real life who is a better author than me (for the kind of thing I want to write). Nobody I know can give me answers to my questions. I've learned a lot through my Escaflowne trilogy.

The truth is, at this point, I'm not sure that anyone can help me.I just need to find my own voice and shout out loud what I want to say. Not only that, but I have never wanted to write deep, philosophical reflections on the human condition - I want to write heart stopping action/romance/fantasy/adventure. So - now when I write - it's all about me.

Oh, and I've also noticed that the best poets in the world have a screw loose. I think you have to be weird and willing to exert a huge amount of personality to write something truly charming.

What do ya think?

 
At 2:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I completely agree with you. If you look at the greatest geniuses in literature... they all are weird in their own way, but their work is awesome. Even the greatest portuguese poets have had the WEIRDEST lives.

Can it be that they had no joy in life, so they created their own worlds and fictional lives through their writing? It's very possible.

Yup, just find your own voice and write "to your heart's content". I see your point in disagreeing with showing to a writer. Probably anything I'd write would be slaughtered even more.

A great future awaits you, sis! :D work hard!

 
At 11:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Again I am in total areeance with you, to quote the irrascible Fred Durst.

Sure, Fanstory will GUARANTEE you reviews! But what good are they when they are handed out by an almost illiterate army of dilletantes and rank amatures?

Again I aim you at my blog www.myyearatfanstory.blogspot.com

Much love for you down here in these filth laden trenches.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home